Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Activity 1.1


The first class session was intriguing and sparked my interest about the theories of learning. As a previous classroom teacher, I began assessing Johnny’s behavior and I recognized that he was displaying signs of distress.  My group members also recognized that Johnny’s acting out could be due to moving schools often, struggling academically, and his desire to fit in.  We discussed how to potentially address the situation from the teacher and the parent’s perspective. The majority of the group felt that Johnny needed to be assessed for a learning disability, and that a conference with current or previous teachers would shed more light on the situation.

At first the Monty activity seemed silly to me.  My group struggled to begin answering the question and discussing the next steps with to take with Monty. We tried to provide professional answers regarding Monty’s situation but it was challenging. After Dr. Usher explained that it’s important to “think like strangers”, I felt relieved.  I was familiar with Johnny’s situation and completely uncomfortable with Monty’s situation.  However, this activity opened my eyes to the fact that I was generalizing Johnny’s behavior. Instead, I should aim to step outside of my prescribed thinking and attempt to view the situation in a different light.

The Mullah story seemed like just a simple story but during the class discussion I was challenged to think outside of myself and search for the meaning of the metaphor. I agree that in education we stay within the boundary of the familiar and dare not go beyond. I don’t want to be like the Mullah and stay in the place of familiarity. I’m eager to be challenged and to step into the unknown in order to stretch myself. Thus, I look forward to learning more about the theories of learning.

David Foster Wallace’s commencement challenged the students to go against their default thinking and to train themselves mentally. He dared the students to open up their mind to the other possibilities of thinking and strive to develop a new perspective. In the same way, the Johnny and Monty activity also challenged us to “think like strangers”, to go against our natural tendencies and to decide what does and doesn’t have meaning.  Both activities present the notion that the control of our thoughts and decisions brings forth freedom and freedom of thought is truly an educated mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment