Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Activity 2.5


The ITA test that I took was on age.  It’s interesting to me that the computer placed “old” with the word “bad” and “young” with “good”. I felt tricked when the computer switched the words around and put “old” with “good”. It took a moment to readjust my thinking and I was worried that my results would be effected. Overall, I feel that my results on the ITA test were accurate. In addition to the test, I watched the video with Alan Alda, in which he learns about the biases that he has pertaining to gender.  It’s fascinating that as humans we have subconscious biases which are effecting our judgments and behaviors without us knowing.

In the chapter about habits, James begins by explaining that habits can be good and bad.  In fact, our whole life is full of habits that include practical, emotional and intellectual. (p 32) A habit is a behavior that has become second nature or automatic to a person. James stresses that teachers goal is to ingrain useful habits into the students. As the activities are practiced continually they become habit and are kept alive within the learner. Therefore, the student has less energy to devote to doing the task because the task has become memorized.  James even states to “keep the faculty of effort alive in you by a little gracious excitement every day.” (p 38)

A connection can be made to James’ definition of education as he states that “the acquired habits of conduct and tendencies to behavior.” (p 15) I interpret this as habits are a group of behaviors which directly affect learning. A student with strong habits effortlessly relies on their abilities and more easily makes associations and connections during the learning process.

1 comment: